Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Book Review.

The Summoning                                             By Kelley Armstrong
 
When 15 year old Chloe Saunders begins to see ghosts everyone thought she was just crazy, including herself.
And all crazy people have to go to a pyscho home so she is sent to Lyle House, a home for disturbed teens.

 
“Chloe? Chloe!” Emily’s voice seemed far away, shrill “Where are you?”
“Chloe, Chloe, where you?” mimicked a voice, like Emily’s but not quite.
Chloe turned, slowly.
In the doorway stood an old woman, her face crackling like twigs in a fire, her eyes and teeth glistening in the dark. Then her skin fell away revealing a skull with pieces of blackened flesh on it. The jaw opened, the teeth still glistening.
“Welcome back, Chloe.”
It is all about when she is at Lyle House and she thinks it is just a normal usual home. But then she starts to make friends with the other patients, charming Simon and his menacing, unsmiling brother Derek; obnoxious Tori and Rae who has a ‘thing’ for fire. And finds out she is nothing more than a walking science experiment…gone wrong.    
“You saw a ghost, didn’t you?” he said.
To my relief I managed to laugh “Sorry to break it to you but ghosts don’t exist.”
Derek’s gaze travelled around the room, when he turned around to face me; the intensity in his eyes sucked the backbone out of me.
 “What is Chloe, what do you see?”
“I-I-I d-d-d…”
“Slow down,” he snapped, impatient “What do they look like? Do they talk to you?”
“You really want to know?” I asked him.
“Yeah.”
I leaned up on my tiptoes to whisper in his ear and he bent down to listen.
“They wear white sheets and have big holes for their eyes and they say ‘Boo!’” I glowered up at him “Now get out of my way.”

I like The Summoning because Chloe has to find out about herself and what she is. Before it’s too late and it is also very adventurous, a little bit yuck though (only when it describes the ghosts).

I give it 5 stars.

Also I recommend it for tweens. 
By Natasha

No comments:

Post a Comment