Elsewhere
By Gabriel Zevin
When 15 year old Liz (Elizabeth) Marie Hall finds out that she is in Elsewhere, after a bicycle accident. She first thought it is just a dream, but soon find out it isn’t. After a long trip on the SS Nile ship, she arrives at Elsewhere. She meets Betty. Her grandmother who died at 50 because of breast cancer, who is now a 30 year old woman.
“Welcome to Elsewhere.” Grandma Betty laughs, pointing matter-of-factly to the large banner that hangs over the pier.
“I don’t understand.”
‘Here, no one gets older, everyone gets younger. But don’t worry; they’ll explain all of that at your acclimation appointment.”
“I’m getting younger? But it took me so long to get to fifteen!”
“Don’t worry, darling, it all works out in the end. You’re going to love it here.”
Understandably, Liz isn’t so sure.
For the first month Liz spend her time watching her family at the Observation Desk. But soon, she finds out it isn’t helping her. She got a job in the Department of Domestic Animals helping the dogs to find an owner. She also meets Owen and makes friend with him. She decides that she is going to do the Sneaker Clause, to go back to earth.
“What makes a person want to go back to earth early?” Dolly asks.
“What makes a person want to go back to earth early?” Dolly asks.
“What do you mean?” Liz replies.
“I mean, it’s all life isn’t it? Why are you in such a rush to get back?”
At the moment, the sun appears in the sky. The ocean splits in two, and the river is revealed.
“Sunrise,” says Dolly. “Time to go. Well, have a good trip!” Dolly gives Liz a push down the river.
It’s a really good book, I recommend it for tweens.
By Stephanie
This is a great book, I glad you enjoyed it!
ReplyDeleteSounds interesting (_^_^_)
ReplyDeleteFrom Natasha